Information gathered at the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) Hour program has indicated that the major teacher union in Ghana is working on most major issues confronting teachers that will be addressed by the end of September 2022.
On the 23rd of July 2022 the Ashanti Regional Chairman of GNAT Mr. Prosper Takyie brought out a briefing from the GNAT Hour program which show that the issue of teachers’ promotion, upgrading, laptops, and salaries increments are the major issues that will be addressed in the coming months. Below are the concerns.
• Promotion portal for 2022 is not officially opened yet. Those who will be writing this exam should prepare accordingly.
• Promotion letters for those who passed the exams last year are ready at the various MMDEO Or Regional Education Offices. You or your district can go there for them.
• By the end of September this year, almost all applicants to various grades will be placed on the rightful scale (Both upgrading and promotion) for Senior and junior ranks.
• All Primary and KG teachers will receive their laptops by middle of September. A mop up exercise will be done after September, 2022. Hence, those at the SHS/JHS who have still not received theirs shouldn’t get perturbed.
• Responsibility allowance goes with job description. A Principal Superintendent who is appointed as a Headteacher will get a relatively larger amount because Headship is the sole and unshared job of AD2 (and /or) above holders.
• Data plan for members in Ashanti Region has started ( 25gh for 10gig). Join the telegram platform if interested. This month’s offer is closed
• Union leaders and TUC are fighting all workers and article 71 holders will be at same salary level on the single spine.
• Leaders are aware any salary increment below 20% will worsen the condition of teachers and workers next year. They will therefore fight for appreciable percentage.